The 2014 CIMAA ride to Mt. Baw Baw 12th & 13th October

The fortunate participants were as follows.  Steven Perlen (1985 Moto Guzzi SP1NT), Wayne Hill & Greta (Moto Guzzi T3 Special), Reg Gundry & Ben (1973 Moto Guzzi 850T), Tony Houlihan (1986 Moto Guzzi Le Mans 4), Paul Hillbrick (1984 Moto Guzzi Le Mans 4), Mick Craine (Moto Guzzi Special), Neville Briggs (1983 Moto Guzzi Le Mans 3), Ken Leigh (1994 Moto Guzzi Cali 3), Martin Harvey & Natalie (Moto Guzzi T3 Special), Craig Nutall (MV Augusta Brutale),  Mark Galli (1983 Ducati Pantah 600SL), Alby Galea (Ducati GT750) & Steve Cannon (1974 Ducati 750 Sport).  Unfortunately, Laverda was not represented with two riders withdrawing from the ride beforehand.  Nevertheless, we were all on Italian bikes.

We had luck with warmish fine weather and took back roads to Powelltown for a leisurely coffee at the General Store/Pub.  Then it was off through the twisties to the Noojee Pub for a leisurely 2 hour lunch.  The pub had already prepared a table for us on the covered outdoor deck with a invigorating view over the green banks and swiftly flowing Latrobe River.  When we left the pub, the Highway Patrol had the road blocked and all riders were breathalysed and checked for their licences and log books.  They didn’t check the bikes.  All riders were ok.  Interestingly, one of the Officers wasn’t happy that some riders had already filled in their log books for the ride home the following day.

The Mt. Baw Baw Rd. was dry but had some potholes, gravel patches, scattered gravel, bark debris and the possibility of oncoming vehicles around blind corners.  All riders rode with due caution but had fun.  We unpacked our stuff at Lonsdale Lodge and most cracked a coldie or glass of wine while a few hardy riders went for a bush walk.  This was followed by an evening at the Village Restaurant.  We were above the clouds and watched the sun set while enjoying some pre dinner drinks.  The food was good.  Then we returned to the Lodge.

We were all up by 8.00 am and made the short walk to Kelly’s Cafe for a cooked breakfast.  We left the mountain by 10.30 am and it was already warm for the ride down the Mountain, which was magic.

Thanks to Wayne Hill & Greta who enabled our access to the Lodge and for cleaning up after we left.

Comments are closed.